The Walt Disney Company inducted 11 new Disney Legends at a ceremony at the Burbank Walt Disney Studios yesterday. The Legends are chosen by a selection committee created by Roy E. Disney. The program honors gifted animators, Imagineers, songwriters, actors and business leaders as having made a significant impact on the Disney legacy.
There are now 227 Disney Legends, including the 11 inducted yesterday.
This year’s inductees are:
- Television pioneer Barbara Walters
- Broadcasting legend Frank Gifford
- Voice actor Wayne Allwine (Mickey Mouse)
- Voice actress Russi Taylor (Minnie Mouse)
- Disney Imagineer Bob Booth (Enchanted Tiki Room, New York World’s Fair Pavilions, EPCOT and Tokyo Disneyland)
- Disney Imagineer Neil Gallagher (Mr. Lincoln for New York World’s Fair, Enchanted Tiki Room, Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Disneyland Paris)
- Representative director, chairman and CEO of the Oriental Land Company, Toshio Kagami
- Animator Burny Mattinson (“Lady and the Tramp,” “Sleeping Beauty,” “101 Dalmatians,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Aladdin,” “The Lion King”)
- Animator Walt Peregoy (“Peter Pan,” “Lady and the Tramp,” “Sleeping Beauty,” “The Sword in the Stone,” “Mary Poppins,” “The Jungle Book”)
- Disney Imagineer Dorothea Redmond (New Orleans Square, Fantasyland)
- Musician Oliver Wallace (“Dumbo,” “Cinderella,” “Alice in Wonderland,” “Peter Pan,” “Lady and the Tramp”)
Each honoree received a Disney Legends Award sculpture signifying the imagination, creativity and magic they have brought to the company. The new Disney Legends also participated in a hand-print ceremony. Congratulations to all and many thanks for your contributions to Disney magic over the years.
Hat tip The Disney Blog.